What's new in 0.5.5
The work in the 0.5.5 release was focused on bug fixes, but there were a couple small features implemented as well. Overall, I think this cadence of a feature-focused month followed by a bug-fix month makes sense for the project - it gives some flexibility to fix some critical features, even if they aren't called out on our timeline.
An oft-requested feature was format on save - implemented in 0.5.5 is an
"editor.formatOnSave" configuration setting:
In addition, a pre-requisite for this feature was fixing several blockers in our format pipeline - so several formatting bugs were fixed:
- #2196, #2820 - duplication of text after formatting
- #3233 - Fix buffer desync when applying formtting edits
- #3240 - 'Invalid range specified' error
Along with the bug fixes and format on save feature, a Formatting documentation section has been added.
Completion Bug Fixes
There were several completion bugs that were fixed in 0.5.5:
- #3194 - Fix enter key press after closing pairs
- #3273 - Use default insert/replace range when provided
- #3274 - Fix race condition between completion subscription and buffer updates
- #3276 - Handle replace range after cursor position
- #3279 - Issue completing ReScript identifiers
With these fixes, completion works better across all languages. A popular extension as well, in the Vim community, is TabNine, and with the above fixes, TabNine now works well in Onivim:
Windows bug fixes
For Windows users, there were several painful bugs that hurt the experience - so part of the 0.5.5 work was geared towards unblocking these issues.
In particular, configuration and keybindings were hard to customize on Windows, because there was no feedback on save like other platforms. This was fixed for 0.5.5:
With these fixes, the Windows experience is better than ever and on par with the other platforms:
The full changelog can be found here: 0.5.5 Changelog
The latest stable and nightly builds are available here: Early Access Portal
I wanted to thank the following people for help during the 0.5.5 milestone:
- @amiralies - Caught a severe bug in nightly (#3196) and fixed it (#3197). In addition, he implemented 'Smart Case' in the quick menu: #3259
- @andr3h3nriqu3s11r - Implement a clear notification button (#3163
- @Jorgee97 and @BorisVSchmid - helped narrow down a file explorer issue on Windows (#3092), which led to it being fixed
For 0.5.6, it's back to features - we'll be working on Rename and Code Actions / Quickfix in the editor - taking full advantage of the functionality that the language extensions provided.
Thanks for reading, and thanks for all the help in bringing this vision of "Modal Editing from the Future" closer to a reality.
Stay safe and healthy!